Rural Physician Support
Interested in Rural Physician Support?
Office of Statewide Clinical Education Programs (OSCEP) Rural Physician Support
Communities seeking coverage assistance can contact OSCEP. OSCEP maintains a listing of practice coverage requests and shares this list with residency programs. Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics residency programs currently participate. Residency programs attempt to match resident availability with specific coverage requests. OSCEP and the residency programs can advise practices regarding the best means to bill for care provided by residents. Practices receiving coverage often assist the resident with travel, meals and lodging expenses. Participation in the practice coverage service can be an excellent way for practices recruiting physicians to acquaint themselves with potential candidates.
Criteria for Eligibility
- The practice must be in a community with a population of 30,000 or less.
- At least one physician must be away from the practice for a minimum of four consecutive days.
- Qualifying reasons for coverage include vacation, CME, medical leave or unforeseen physician turnover.
- At least one physician of the resident’s specialty must be available for supervision or consultations.
- Coverage arrangements must meet residency standards for preceptorships and be approved by residency faculty.
Physician Recruitment Assistance
OSCEP has helped Iowa communities recruit and retain physicians for over 30 years.
Available services include:
- Feasibility assessment of recruitment goals
- Critique of recruitment package
- Development of marketing strategies
- Design of recruiting materials
- Identification and contact of physician prospects
- Iowa Practice Opportunities Directory listings